Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Amaris Learned to Eat by Day 3

On day three with her family, Amaris finally learned how to eat. She still does not yet know how to drink.

PICTURES soon!

She is 2 yrs. and 4 mo. old and had NEVER had anything other than her bottle with rice cereal... and, reportedly "congee".

When we got her, we realized that when we fed her even TINY bites (5 grains of rice), she just kept them in her mouth. Her tongue never moved. I would give her TINY bites (about the size of your pinky fingernail) of banana, same thing. I had to insert my finger and move the food to her teeth and show her how to chew. Just to eat a meal could easily have taken 2 hours... after an hour, we resorted to her bottle.

The orphanage had brought a box of formula and cereal to show us. I am not sure they intended to actually sell it to us, but you know me, if they didn't give me something, I offered money. These would be some of the last possessions or memories from her orphanage. I will write more about that later.

This is what she has eaten so far:
White rice, banana, watermelon, fruit coctail from the can, mandarin oranges from the can, super tiny pieces of chicken, and a part of a french fry (which was a total bad choice).

I am SO thankful we brought Earth's Best Organic fruit and veggie squeeze meals... that's saved us.

This is what she has had to drink so far:
Babys Only Organic Lactose Free Iron Fortified Toddler Formula, Univera Essentials, bottled water, and a couple sips of apple juice. We will be adding more apple juice to her diet now.