It wasn't without our first hiccup... Jason thought it would be okay for Tyanna to follow everyone up the escalator while we went to the elevator... Uh, NO! I told him it wasn't a good idea to be separated... and, he learned quickly.
We walked confidently to the elevator, having passed a security guard who never questioned us, opening a large door for us (then locking it again)... then passing a second security guard that did the same. We then entered an elevator (because someone who had access) was just getting off. We ended up on a floor we shouldn't have been on, in hallways that are only secured by officers (MEAN ONES), and very little help or signage anywhere. By this time, we were terrified because several minutes have no passed and there doesn't seem to be a way to get on and off elevators... someone else helped us to the tiny service elevator and then we were really lost.
When we finally gave up, two officers approached us wanting to know who we were, how we got where we were, who let us in, and what we were doing... and then didn't listen to us... we were escorted to the appropriate elevator (which was nice) despite the fact that he was a complete jerk.
While we were getting on the elevator, I smiled and said, "I guess it's a good thing we are nice people" or something like that, and he agressively said, "You know I am supposed to put you both under arrest, question you, and get your stories"). Geez! What I wanted to say after that (but held my tongue to avoid setting him off) was: "We are just two lost parents, with a preschooler in a walker, holding our mochas from Starbucks, trying to find our now-lost teenager and airplane that is about to take off so that we can get to China to adopt our special needs baby... waist your time on the others please!"
Ironically, once we got where we were going, everyone lined up to board, but the sweet girls (and guys) came to our family and let US board first. Take that Mr. Security Officer! I am thankful God was with us during that scary ordeal... especially since we were in our home town.
So, now we are at the beginning of the line with preferred treatment (unbeknownst to them about our ordeal we just came out of), and we are about to go down the ramp. They didn't understand that Gabriella would need to have her walker to go down the ramp. So, as I do when someone doesn't get it, I step her out in front of her walker and let her go. She fell towards the person that wanted her to walk the rest of the way to the airplane. Well, she, and the others, got it! Ironically, we had to do that EVERY time... apparently the Chinese have never seen someone in a walker. We dropped it off at both planes, but had to pick it up at baggage... go figure...
We had a wonderful flight... only one small dip with turbulence, which screams were screamed. Both girls did great... watching movies, listening to music, snuggling, and playing with the ipad.
This airplane got us to Beijing. It was 8 passengers wide. We got 4 of the seats in the middle of the plane. Hainan Airlines was very friendly to us.
This photo was taken at almost 1AM on our second airplane that flew us from Beijing to Guangzhou... so, this is as good as it gets... the two new jie jie's excited to meet their little mei mei tomorrow.
It'a now about 1:30AM. We were the very last ones to get our luggage... yep... all 10 suitcases, PLUS Tyanna's backpack and large purse, Jason's backpack, and Gabriella's walker.
As I take this photo, I am wondering... what in the world is our guide going to think? I hope she brought a large enough van... oh geez... what if we have to take 2 vehicles to the hotel? I guess we will know in about a minute.