Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Guangzhou Zoo

In 2010, we took Gabriella to the Guangzhou Zoo and within minutes I thought my passion for orphans was going to change to a passion for the underfed animals at the zoo. When I say underfed, I mean emaciated. I was going to throw some dinner (the over-populated deer in the other pen) into the lions, tigers, bear and rhino pens.

This year, though, it was amazing. All of the animals looked somewhat healthy.



















Tyanna and Gabriella enjoyed feeding one of the giraffes... that was our biggest highlight of this zoo trip.  
Follow their photo sequence in feeding a giraffe!



















We got to see the elephant... I think there was at least one more... thought they were supposed to have a few to be happy.





The other highlight was seeing the two panda bears. 




  







Today was bloody hot. Not sure how we even made it without personal showers attached to our backs.



Here's what a non-smiling photo shoot looks like. 


  



Somewhat acceptable photo given what we are dealing with... still so cute!


Here's the "I want my Mama" scenario...








The third highlight was watching all of the monkeys.



Somebody made a bad choice and threw something into the monkey habitat.







  


And, the fourth highlight was the massive thunderstorm that caused a peaceful day on the water to turn torrential (is that even a word) in literally seconds. SECONDS! The down pour wasn't like ANYTHING we had ever seen. It was like Heaven had opened up and the streams and water sources were all drained right over the zoo.








What the heck! Follow the Chinese! Run!



  



It went on and on and on!







I think I am saying... "Oh my word!"
  

Neither of the girls were appreciating the lightening nor thunder... it sounded like it was NEXT to us.  






Okay... let's make a run for it. We raced past the camels.


Found a sign to try to figure out how to get outta here!



This photo above is only being shown to show you how wet we truly were. DRENCHED!


The love of the metro... we were SO GLAD to be going back to our hotel!









Back to our room... showered... and, pizzaed.